The site of the May petroglyphs is located on the right bank of the Amur River Mariinsky channel (also called New Amur). It is 3.5 km below the ruins of Auri, in the Mai area, located 10 km downstream from the village of Bulava (Ulchsky district of the Khabarovsk Region). Petroglyphs are observed on the glide plane of a 4-6 m high rocky cliff, composed of Upper Cretaceous (Senonian) mudstones of the Udomin Formation.
Three clusters of petroglyphs are known within the Mai locality, with 44 separate images.
The petroglyphs of May were first described and partially documented by A.P. Okladnikov and M. Cheremnykh, tracing copies and paper squeeze of individual surfaces were made (1935). Documented by members of the A.P. Okladnikov expedition (1968).
Petroglyphs of the Mai site sketched on tracing paper.
A.P. Okladnikov, 1971